Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2014

Here we go! There’s still quite a few details I want to work on, but I’ve got the basic table set up to a standard I am happy to play on, which is convenient because I haven’t gamed in nearly three months!

I still have a number of models to paint, and also have a horsa glider model to put together, which I anticipate completing in the new year.

 

IMG_1347

 

IMG_1348

IMG_1344

IMG_1341

IMG_1346

IMG_1345

IMG_1342

Like I said, I’m still going to work on the table and will likely post some battle reports once I get a few games in, but as far as the step by step guide goes, I think I’ve finished.

I really hope this is a useful guide. This was one of the longest, most complex modeling projects I’ve done to date. The bridge alone is daunting! But with patience and planning, it’s been incredibly rewarding.

Read Full Post »

Yuletide greetings everyone! Today I’m pleased to finally post some pictures of the actual bridge itself. Before I do, let me just say, this has far and away been the longest time it’s taken me to ever paint a model. The first coat of metal alone took a good three weeks of painting grey every evening! It could have been faster if I’d sprayed it somehow, but I was determined to do it by hand and finally have the finished model.

It’s also worth pointing out, I pretty much followed the Warlord Games painting guide for this part of the project. I’ll mention where I deviated below. On with the pictures!

 

The first base coat of dark grey was added. It took a few layers, and in hindsight, I’d recommend spraying this part. There are so many hard to reach areas that you’ll need to go in with a brush afterwards anyway.

IMG_1313

Next I added two successively lighter shades of grey, making sure to leave the recesses dark.

IMG_1321

The concrete was also painted grey. I’m going to go back and add some weathering and blending to the two end edges, so it matches the ground cover.

IMG_1322

When the metal and concrete were done, I started working on the wooden planking. First, a quick coat of dark brown.

IMG_1323

Something I did differently to Warlord here. I didn’t like how the lines they marked looked so straight, so I cut some irregular patterns out of a coffee stirring stick and used it like a ruler, flipping it and rotating it every few lines to give a less formulaic pattern.

IMG_1327

Here I added the following shade of brown, followed by a light drybrush of a beige color. To finish, I dropped some Agrax Earthshade over the top.

IMG_1332

With the basic colors complete, it was time to add the finishing touches, like weathering. I used a variety of inks, and a sponge to add the various looks described in the Warlord guide.

IMG_1333

I added grease around the pivot point, and chipping on the edges of the steps.

IMG_1334

The final thing to do was paint the… well actually, I don’t know what they’re called! Check point barriers? Anyway, they were painted white, and then blocks of black followed by red were added.

IMG_1336

This completes the bridge for now! I’ve started pulling everything together to see how it looks and will try and get some pictures of the near-complete table over the next couple of days before Christmas!

Read Full Post »

This past week I’ve taken a break from the table construction and focused on the models I’d be using as part of the scenario, namely the British Paras. I’ve not taken any photos of them yet, I’ll wait until they’re complete, but I thought I’d share my efforts on the canal water section of the board.

Honestly, it’s the one piece of the project so far that I haven’t been happy with. My plan was to paint a dark marine layer onto a board, and cover it with water effect, but it didn’t give the desired effect. Thankfully, it’s also the part of the table that’s the easiest to make, so I might just start again if the final outcome doesn’t look right.

IMG_1231

IMG_1232

IMG_1241

IMG_1242 IMG_1243

Read Full Post »