Let’s Build Pegasus Bridge Part 4

It’s been a productive week for the Pegasus Bridge project, and I’m starting to see things come together. Here’s the latest progress:

I had originally intended to add the bases of my trees and telegraph poles to the foam-board base and then add sand texture over them, but I forgot. Rather than sand down the areas I wanted to use, and effectively start over, I drilled holes into the bases and added pins. This way I’d be able to add them seamlessly. and potentially even move them around if I wanted to.

IMG_1272

I did the same pinning method with the trees. It took a few hours, but was worth it for the effect.

IMG_1273

I tested out how the trees would pin into the foam surface using an area that will be covered up by the cafe building.

IMG_1274

With the groundwork now essentially done, it was time to move onto the fun part -adding all the different flocking textures! This is where you start to see results really quickly, as each layer brings another level of realism to the board.

First, I added a light dusting of fine turf to most of the board. I didn’t want it to cover the dirt underneath completely, so I used a paintbrush to dust off the excess after it had dried overnight.

IMG_1275

The first board with it’s completed flock coating. This sets the tone for the rest of the scenery.

IMG_1276

I let a little bit overlap onto the road.

IMG_1277

Here you can see a couple of stages in – I didn’t have time to take photos with every additional texture as I wanted them to blend together while the spray-on glue was still wet. You can see I added a lighter shade of flock to the grass areas, a darker dirt/stone to the edges of the road, and also a very light mixture of various ballast to the road.

IMG_1278

All done, just waiting for it to dry. While it’s fun, this is also the most tense part of the project – there’s really no turning back if something doesn’t look right. I did intend adding a third color to the grass areas, but after the first sprinkle I could tell it would be too different a shade of green to look natural so I left it as-is.

IMG_1279

Test-fitting the trees. I added a couple of course turf colors underneath of a very dark green to act as underbrush. It should also cover up the pin holes if I move the trees around.

IMG_1280

Test-fitting the telegraph poles. I’ll finish building and painting these in another session.

IMG_1281

Future spot of the cafe building. I’ll need to go in and tidy up the patio as well.

IMG_1282

That’s it for now. I’m still painting the bridge components – I’ve never painted so much grey! Once I get beyond the base color, I’ll post some more interesting pictures of it. Then I have the canal section. I’m debating whether the effect I’m going for works, or if I should start again with something simple. I’ll have an update in the next post!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Let’s Build Pegasus Bridge Part 4

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s