Let’s Build Pegasus Bridge Part 3

I’ve been continuing to work on my Pegasus Bridge table over the past few weeks, but it was only yesterday I realized I hadn’t posted any updates! Here’s the latest:

 

After pasting the boards and covering them with sand, I sprayed all of them black. This would act as a base for adding the various terrain effects; the dirt, roadways, grass etc.

IMG_1184

The first coat of brown paint went on. This was the first of three stages of color; a dark brown, medium brown and then a very light dusting of a highlight. It’s the same effect I used on my North Africa boards.

IMG_1226

Let me know if anyone wants to know what specific colors I used. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, it’s a case of personal preference. I could’ve made my base shade darker.

Also, as much as I wanted to just work on one board at a time, get it painted, highlighted, and then start adding flock and other features, it’s very important to stay disciplined and work on one step at a time across all the boards, otherwise you might miss a step, and the whole table won’t have a unified look.

IMG_1228

Next I added a very dark grey base color the roadways. I was careful to blend it as closely with the dirt in places where it sloped together across the edges, just to make it look more natural.

IMG_1239

Adding the first stage of highlighting.

IMG_1240

Adding the final drybrush of a bleached bone kind of color.

IMG_1244

Here’s a close-up of the texture.

IMG_1245

The finished painted board. I blame the camera lighting – there are some very harsh tones on this picture that aren’t so noticeable on the actual board.

IMG_1246

Next I went in and started adding planking the walls of the trenches. Simply coffee stir sticks cut into a few varying sizes. This took longer than I had expected, but the finished effect looks great.

IMG_1252 IMG_1253

I used a couple of models to check the scale of the wood planking. At first I thought they might be too thick. I debated pulling the wood off and splitting them all in half, which would’ve taken even longer, but I think it’s passable as-is.

IMG_1254 IMG_1255 IMG_1256

Adding the cobblestone patio to the side of the Cafe Gondree. I used a pack of HO scale plastic sheeting for this. I could’ve added it way back when I was adding the sand, but rest of the groundwork has an exaggerated texture, whereas this is more subtle.

IMG_1257

Once the putty is dry, I’ll go in and paint everything.

IMG_1258

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s