Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for November, 2014

It’s been a productive week for the Pegasus Bridge project, and I’m starting to see things come together. Here’s the latest progress:

I had originally intended to add the bases of my trees and telegraph poles to the foam-board base and then add sand texture over them, but I forgot. Rather than sand down the areas I wanted to use, and effectively start over, I drilled holes into the bases and added pins. This way I’d be able to add them seamlessly. and potentially even move them around if I wanted to.

IMG_1272

I did the same pinning method with the trees. It took a few hours, but was worth it for the effect.

IMG_1273

I tested out how the trees would pin into the foam surface using an area that will be covered up by the cafe building.

IMG_1274

With the groundwork now essentially done, it was time to move onto the fun part -adding all the different flocking textures! This is where you start to see results really quickly, as each layer brings another level of realism to the board.

First, I added a light dusting of fine turf to most of the board. I didn’t want it to cover the dirt underneath completely, so I used a paintbrush to dust off the excess after it had dried overnight.

IMG_1275

The first board with it’s completed flock coating. This sets the tone for the rest of the scenery.

IMG_1276

I let a little bit overlap onto the road.

IMG_1277

Here you can see a couple of stages in – I didn’t have time to take photos with every additional texture as I wanted them to blend together while the spray-on glue was still wet. You can see I added a lighter shade of flock to the grass areas, a darker dirt/stone to the edges of the road, and also a very light mixture of various ballast to the road.

IMG_1278

All done, just waiting for it to dry. While it’s fun, this is also the most tense part of the project – there’s really no turning back if something doesn’t look right. I did intend adding a third color to the grass areas, but after the first sprinkle I could tell it would be too different a shade of green to look natural so I left it as-is.

IMG_1279

Test-fitting the trees. I added a couple of course turf colors underneath of a very dark green to act as underbrush. It should also cover up the pin holes if I move the trees around.

IMG_1280

Test-fitting the telegraph poles. I’ll finish building and painting these in another session.

IMG_1281

Future spot of the cafe building. I’ll need to go in and tidy up the patio as well.

IMG_1282

That’s it for now. I’m still painting the bridge components – I’ve never painted so much grey! Once I get beyond the base color, I’ll post some more interesting pictures of it. Then I have the canal section. I’m debating whether the effect I’m going for works, or if I should start again with something simple. I’ll have an update in the next post!

Read Full Post »

I’ve been continuing to work on my Pegasus Bridge table over the past few weeks, but it was only yesterday I realized I hadn’t posted any updates! Here’s the latest:

 

After pasting the boards and covering them with sand, I sprayed all of them black. This would act as a base for adding the various terrain effects; the dirt, roadways, grass etc.

IMG_1184

The first coat of brown paint went on. This was the first of three stages of color; a dark brown, medium brown and then a very light dusting of a highlight. It’s the same effect I used on my North Africa boards.

IMG_1226

Let me know if anyone wants to know what specific colors I used. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, it’s a case of personal preference. I could’ve made my base shade darker.

Also, as much as I wanted to just work on one board at a time, get it painted, highlighted, and then start adding flock and other features, it’s very important to stay disciplined and work on one step at a time across all the boards, otherwise you might miss a step, and the whole table won’t have a unified look.

IMG_1228

Next I added a very dark grey base color the roadways. I was careful to blend it as closely with the dirt in places where it sloped together across the edges, just to make it look more natural.

IMG_1239

Adding the first stage of highlighting.

IMG_1240

Adding the final drybrush of a bleached bone kind of color.

IMG_1244

Here’s a close-up of the texture.

IMG_1245

The finished painted board. I blame the camera lighting – there are some very harsh tones on this picture that aren’t so noticeable on the actual board.

IMG_1246

Next I went in and started adding planking the walls of the trenches. Simply coffee stir sticks cut into a few varying sizes. This took longer than I had expected, but the finished effect looks great.

IMG_1252 IMG_1253

I used a couple of models to check the scale of the wood planking. At first I thought they might be too thick. I debated pulling the wood off and splitting them all in half, which would’ve taken even longer, but I think it’s passable as-is.

IMG_1254 IMG_1255 IMG_1256

Adding the cobblestone patio to the side of the Cafe Gondree. I used a pack of HO scale plastic sheeting for this. I could’ve added it way back when I was adding the sand, but rest of the groundwork has an exaggerated texture, whereas this is more subtle.

IMG_1257

Once the putty is dry, I’ll go in and paint everything.

IMG_1258

Read Full Post »